Lately I’ve been getting a lot of questions about social media guidelines for museums. There’s been a lot written about the use of social media guidelines, so I’ll limit this post to my experiences.
Why use social media guidelines?
More and more people join social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook or blog about their life or work. Not everybody is a digital native with perfect understanding of the subtleties of the web. I think guidelines are to guide these people towards a rewarding and safe use of social media.
Social media guidelines help people:
- To benefit from the opportunities of social media.
- To engage in a constructive way in online conversation, be it about a museum or their favourite pet.
- To avoid doing things online they might regret, personally or professionally.
- To find their way in your organisation when they discover conversations about your organisation on the web.
- To feel comfortable while writing about their work online.
Social media guidelines are meant to enrich people’s online behaviour, not to limit it.Read More »